Thursday, April 26, 2012

Booking Through Thursday 4/26/12


Today is Booking Through Thursday. Each week a question related to reading is posted and bloggers answer on Thursdays. Click the link above to participate!

This week's question:


Has a book ever inspired you to change anything in your life, fiction or non-fiction alike?

I wear many hats in my life, so I will answer this question in regards to each hat.

Me, Myself and I
The first book that completely changed my personal life was (and is) A Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren. Yeah, I'm sure you've heard of it. Some may think that it's just another religious book. My sister gave it to me and I thought, "Okay, I can read it." I didn't think it would change my life. I was looking for answers and God gave them to me through this book.

Me, the Mother
My favorite role has been MOTHER. God has been so good to me. He has provided me the task of being a mother, a guide, a friend to three lovely boys. I am so thankful to have them. One thing I wish to pass on is the love of reading. This has been a very hard task, especially when video games vies for attention. My favorite children's book to read to them has been Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. When they were all toddlers, I loved snuggling with them and reading this board book. I have such fond memories that will never go away.

Me, the Writer
Being a reader is what helps me as a writer. My alltime favorite romance authors lead me to write (or try) like them. Here are my favorite category and contemporary books by these authors. There are so many! (By the way, this category helps me as my role of WIFE.)

Jill Shalvis is hilarious!
Fun, sexy, real
My favorite line ever!
Funny, excellent dialogue!

Me, the Teacher
As a teacher, I try to read great books with my students and hopefully change their lives.  How do I want to change their lives? Make them into readers. Make them think. Hopefully I have done this! The two latest books that I use in class do this.... The Hunger Games and The Lightning Thief.

























All of these books have changed me in some way. Be it as a teacher, as a mother, as a wife or just me personally. I love talking about books. They are my life! Now off to read!

Goodnight readers!

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Very thought provoking. Thanks Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice insight into more of the person you are, Melinda. I loved reading Goodnight Moon with my own children :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice answers. It's wonderful that books have insipired you like that :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/04/booking-through-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just couldn't get into The Purpose Driven Life, but I have some friends who were really impacted by it. The Hunger Games and The Lightning Thief are both books that I really enjoyed, though. My BTT:
    http://wcs53.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/booking-through-thursday-changes-april-26/

    ReplyDelete