Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Writing Journey Part 1

Submitting Journey Part #1




I began writing my first completed novel, Time Changes Everything, when I was pregnant with my third child (2005). I have always written and loved writing romance in high school, but this particular story was written to be published, not just for fun. Of course, It's been fun, but you know what I mean. Little did I know, that it would take me ... oh.... six years to complete it and send it off. :)

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.
Vincent Van Gogh


Please, don't roll your eyes. Yes! I am a serious writer. But, as any mom knows, once you have your kid (third one by the way) life gets in the way. So, the book was put on hold. I finished about 70% and then went on with life for two years without looking at it.

Procrastination is opportunity's assassin. ~Victor Kiam 
I'd pick up my novel every now and then and add a chapter when I had a chance. When I arrived to the end, I just couldn't finish. There was something there... more than writer's block.... it was as if I was scared to finish my book. THE END just seemed so final. Then what? I had been attached to these characters for so many years, I didn't want to say goodbye.

Finally, around Thanksgiving last year, my hubby asked why I didn't finish my book. I think he saw what an avid reader I am and always heard me say "one day I will be published." My baby was five already. My two oldest kids were in the double digits, so they understood.

I started my adventure again. Over my Christmas vacation, I actually finished my novel. What a whirlwind of feelings. I FINISHED A NOVEL! WOO HOO!


but....I finished my novel....sigh.



I was both happy and sad. However, I did not know that I really was not finished. Writing is only the first step. Next came the never-ending editing stage.

And that's a whole other story. Come back next week for more .

Part 2 coming!

7 comments:

  1. Well, I won't even pretend Part 2 is easy! LOL It's nice to hear what you went through and how Time Changes Everything came to be. I never knew all this. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story has been a part of me for many many years. :)

      Delete
  2. That is awesome! I was on child number one when I decided I wanted to write a story, a complete novel one day. He was three years old at the time and now he's 23. :) *blush*

    I'm still working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time sure does fly! Good luck writing and finishing.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to read part two-and your published novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great backstory to the story, Melinda! And it's too funny, I also got bitten by the writing bug after my second son was born in 2005... although I didn't have any time until he was a bit older. I DEFINITELY understand why it could take a while. : )

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete