Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Don't Forget to Laugh at Yourself!



Who said life had to always be serious? I know it’s easier said than done, but we need to have fun sometimes. I know life can get in the way, but we make life the way we want it.  As a mother, wife, teacher, friend, and writer, I have a busy life. I have to learn how to balance all the responsibilities and in the midst of it all LAUGH. Laughing is important to me. Luckily, I have a silly husband who is right there beside me, supporting me, pushing me and loving me. Yeah, sappy right? Laugh all you want! At least you’re smiling. J

My husband makes me laugh ALMOST every day. One of the best parts of our relationship is that we can be who we are and not be embarrassed. Silliness evades our household. I wouldn’t want it any other way.



Reading a romantic comedy is a great stress reliever. And yes, I fit it in to my daily schedule. Two queens of romantic comedy are Jill Shalvis and Shannon Stacey. In fact, here are some fantastic quotes from their last two books I read:

“If I looked like him,” Tara said. “I’d want to have sex with myself. All the time.” 
 
Jill Shalvis
, Simply Irresistible

“Two of my fav pieces of wisdom from Phoebe:

- Men are like parking spots. All the good ones are taken, and those that aren't are inaccessible.

- Remember, it's always better to be the smartass rather than the dumbass.” 
 
Jill Shalvis
, Simply Irresistible

“Who’s there?”
“The scratcher of your itch,” he said.
She opened the door a crack and stuck her nose out. “Was that supposed to be romantic?” 
 
Jill Shalvis
, Instant Attraction

"Josh: Just because you’re not looking for something doesn’t mean you won’t find it. 
Sean: Well, aren’t you quite the fucking fortune cookie." 
 
Shannon Stacey
 (Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3))

"He could do this. He'd survived boot camp. He'd survived combat and the harsh weather of Afghanistan. He could survive broccoli. Probably." 
 
Shannon Stacey
 (Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3))

My last advice is to always make sure you laugh during the day. “A day without laughter is a day wasted. – Charlie Chaplin.”

What do you do to laugh each day? Let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for stopping by,

Melinda



Be sure to check the other Writer's Words of Wisdom authors:


2 comments:

  1. Laughter, especially with friends and loved ones is one of the best medicines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some days that I just want to curl up in a ball and cry, and yesterday was one of them. My "evil day job" as a veterinarian can sometimes be rough, but without the folks I work with, I think I would have gone bonkers a long time ago. In the middle of all the chaos, the radio in the treatment area started playing "Lady Marmelade." At first there was just a slight hum as each of us started to softly sing along until it became a full out karaoke session! I don't think I've laughed that hard in a while. Not only did I need that, all of my coworkers did too.

    ReplyDelete