Monday, July 2, 2012

Smile! It scares people.... and other sarcastic funnies


Why is it so hard to be funny? I love reading romance that is funny. But, to write it is another story. Will other's laugh? Will others think I'm just stupid? I have one of those sense of humors that some people just don't understand - highly based on sarcasm. Living and teaching in Guatemala has taught me that sarcasm does not really exist on the same level as it does in the states. So, I dedicate today's Monday Funny to SARCASM.






Now, if I could just figure out the art of using sarcasm in my writing. I believe it is truly difficult because sarcasm has a lot to do with tone of voice. You can't do that in writing, can you? So, here are the types of sarcasm that I think exists:
  1. Insults: Isn't that what sarcasm is all about? Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?
  2. Obnoxious: The kind that makes people not talk to you ever again. I'm glad to see you're not letting your education get in the way of your ignorance.
  3. Underestimation: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.
  4. Polite: Rude comments but given in a nice manner. Oh, great! We get to spend another hour shopping for that wedding dress.
  5. Unanswered questions: What do sheep count when they try to get to sleep?
Other favorite love/romance sarcastic lines:

I wasn't kissing him, I was just telling his lips a secret! 
Do you believe in love at first site? Or should I walk by again? 
He broke my heart, so I broke his jaw.
Whoever said loves lasts forever was drunk.
Love isn't blind...chances are YOURE the one that's blind.

How do YOU write sarcasm?

Thanks for stopping by,
Melinda

2 comments:

  1. I love to inject humor into writing! As far as sarcasm goes, I believe if you tell us enough about the character, we'll "get" her by the time she gives that cringeworthy line. "Or you could always add an awesome dialog tag," she said with a snort of derision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...abstractly, I kind of feel that the sarcasm of a speaker's words would be discerned in relation to whatever situation preceded them...Maybe show the reaction of the person being spoken *to* as a response to sarcasm, if it's not coming across?
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete