Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mouth-watering First Fight




I've been anxiously awaiting this bloghop! Today's topic is FIRST FIGHT. I will hare my MC's first spat from my manuscript Time Changes Everything. Hope you enjoy.


     Amanda slid into her own, perfectly fit apron. “I need a strong man to mash the potatoes.” She pointed to a bowl.

     “No problem.” He grabbed the masher and diligently started his job. He mashed the potatoes, while Amanda moved deliciously around the kitchen. Every move she made was like a dish in itself.

     His eyes devoured her. She leaned over the sweet potatoes, stirring them, round and round, and she bent to check the turkey in the oven. He almost fell over checking out her fine ass. Holding up her hair, so it wouldn’t dip into her concoction, she hummed a tune he didn’t recognize. The back of her neck glistened, like a white chocolate waiting to be nibbled. She looked mouth-watering.

     How could she not want a man in her life? What kind of woman was she? Dressing like that, and not wanting to share her body with a man? He couldn’t figure her out.

     “So, what’s up with you?” Amanda asked. Jake was startled by thequestion. “You mad about something?”

     Jake looked down and saw that he mashed the potatoes to mush. He put the utensil down, looking around to keep his thoughts busy. “I’m just surprised you invited me here.”

     “Why would you be surprised? We’re both in New York and we don’t have time to go home until Christmas. We grew up toge-“

     “I mean, I’m a man and you were quite clear the other day that you don’t want a man in your life.” He grabbed a rag from the counter and rung it in his hands.

      Amanda blinked. “Jake, you’re not just any man. You’re a good friend.”

      “Well, no matter, I’m a man and I took offense to your comment the other day.” Jake slapped the rag over his shoulder.

     “Well, look who’s talking. Shouldn’t I take offense to how you treat women? Go on a date, sleep with them, and never call again.” Amanda tore open a bag of marshmallows and threw them on top of the sweet potatoes.

     “I never did that to you.”

     “Right. But you sure did lead me on with that kiss. You said you would come back and then you just left.” Amanda shoved a Pyrex dish his way and nodded to the mashed potatoes.

      Jake grabbed the Pyrex and pointed it at her, “That was seven years ago. And it was different.”

     “Why should I want a man in my life after being treated like that?”

     “Hey, you can’t blame me for that. Anyway, we kissed that night. I didn’t force you, may I remind you. And, we’re talking about today, not seven years ago.” Jake scooped the mash potatoes into the Pyrex in one movement.

     “Today. Yes.” Amanda jutted her chin out and took a deep breath, “Why are we fighting then?” She glared at him.

     “You don’t want a man in your life. Period. You made it loud and clear. Yet, here I am. Why do you want me in your life?”

     “Hellooo” Chloe and Veronica opened the door, “Happy Thanksgiving. The day of Thanks.”

     “And the day of Giving.” Veronica finished.


Come back in two days for my FIRST KISS scene!

Thanks for stopping by,

Melinda

8 comments:

  1. Awesome. I heard a duh-duh-duh ring in my head at that last line. Just how giving is she talking about? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love a man in the kitchen! So sexy. :D
    Great job with this banter!

    Thanks for participating in our blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang-it Chloe and Veronica! Uh, almost there. I wanted to hear what she had to say.

    Oh well guess you'll have to hand this over to me so I can read it all.

    Love the realism of the whole piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tension filled scene. Sounds like it's going to be an interesting Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Amanda moved deliciously around the kitchen" I like your use of delicious here. Good scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a fun read. I love how much of their backstory we get in this snippet, and am annoyed by the intrudion at the end. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, the tension. Love the intrusion of the two at the end. Can almost picture Amanda's and Jake's faces.

    ReplyDelete