Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Love Metaphors

Since I am an English teacher, I have the opportunity to teach writing to my students. I have a Writing Notebook I share with my students and require that each student keeps their own. Whatever assignment I give my students, I must do. In honor of this, I will share with you my Exploring a Love Metaphor assignment.

Love is an empty field with only one other person there.
     The one person is your soul mate.
     The field is empty as your heart until you see your true love who fills the space.
The image that came to mind when I wrote this metaphor is from the last scene in the latest movie-version of Pride and Prejudice, my all-time favorite romance. When Elizabeth Bennett takes a desperate walk outside and sees Mr. Darcy striding across the field in the early morning. You see the determination in his movements and the delight in her shocked expression when she recognizes him with the sunrise behind. Ah! Sigh! That is love!


Love is a new song playing on the radio for the first time.
     The excitemnet of hearing it swells up your heart.
        The enjoyment of dancing and singing along.
In the 80's, I was a big-time Duranie. If you are a child of the 70's, you must know what that means. Duran Duran encompassed my dreams, thoughts, and actions my entire early teenage years. When their new single, Notorious, hit the radio, I still remember screaming as if the world was about to end. Turning the humongous dial on my casette-tape/radio boombox, I danced around the room giddy with happiness. As Casey Kasem told the band's story afterwards, I jumped to my telephone to call my best friend so we could scream into eachother's ears. I will always remember Duran Duran and the LOVE I felt everytime I heard a new song.

By the way, the one on the right, John Taylor, was supposed to wait for me and marry me when I was legal.  Guess he didn't hear the news back then. :)

Love is counting your babies fingers and toes the minute after he's born.
      Touching this little baby and feeling them for the first time.
      Smiling down into his face, counting off 1-2-3-4-5
My mom's first memory of me as a baby was how she counted my fingers and toes, "to make sure they were all there." I always remembered that and when all three of my children were born, I counted each and everyone. There's nothing more special than holding your child in their first seconds of life. The only word I can use to describe this is LOVE. That overwhelming feeling that evades your body as you look down into that precious face. LOVE.



I invite you to write your own metaphors of love. It's quite fun once you get started. What do you compare love to? When do you feel love? One sentence is all you need! Now it's your turn.

Happy writing,
Melinda

6 comments:

  1. Fun exercise, Melinda!

    Love is my children's laughter and sharing in their joy of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you! Nothing better than our children laughing!

      Delete
  2. Love is sharing what you know so that others will experience the same joy.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! Why reinvent the wheel? Sharing what we know is so important!
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Love is...waiting for your sister, that you haven't seen in 2 yrs, at the airport and seeing her walking up and finally standing face to face (crying tears of joy of course) and then hugging her 10 thousand times and laughing.

    I LOVE you my sweet sissy!

    P.S. I remember your Duran Duran days and punked out hairstyle. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I remember that Paige. What a great memory!

    ReplyDelete