Thursday, August 30, 2012

The "Call" - My "baby" will be published!



Time Changes Everything is like a little baby to me. When my youngest was born 6 years ago, I started writing it on my maternity leave (of course when he was sleeping). But then life got in the way and I couldn't finish. Just last year, hubby asked me why I haven't finished my novel and I thought.... "Yeah. I can do that now!" So, I did. (Thanks Rafa!)

The manuscript went through many eyes in my critique group at Critique Circle - the best critique group on the web. Finally, I decided to send it forward.

On August 6, I enetered a pitch contest at Romance University online. This is an untraditional way of "selling" your book. Entranced Publishing's Executive Editor, Ashley Christman, liked the  pitch and asked for me to send the full manuscript. This thrilled me! So, I sent it in the next day.

In a month's time Ms. Christman sent me the best news via email..... she liked my work and wanted to contract me! WOO HOO!

On the outside.... I was like this.

On the inside.... I was like this.

And since I'm a romance author, let's pretend I was like this:

I have to stop here and give you my "call" or "email" story here. It was Friday, August 24... which happened to be the second day of school. It was a BUSY time for me. I had just let out my period 2 class and thought I would work on my plans for the next week. Sitting at the computer, I then opened my email and found her message. The minute I saw the title of the email, my heart beat a million miles a minute. After reading the email, I stood up, shaking, and let out a SQUEEE!!!! Looking back now, I'm glad I didn't have any students in the room when I read the mail. So, I ran out of my classroom and to the office to call my hubby (my cell wasn't working of course). I was so excited and emotional that I couldn't even remember my own home phone number - so I asked the secretary. She probably still thinks I'm crazy. A quick phonecall later, I had to run back to my class to welcome my newest students with the biggest smile on my face.
So, now that I've reviewed and signed the contract, I am an official author and will have my first baby novel published next year with Entranced Publishing. So excited! As I go through this journey, I will write posts to update you on my process. I'm a newbie at this and other writers might find it interesting to go through it with me.

Thanks for stopping by!

Melinda

10 comments:

  1. Such a huge congratulations in i order! WOOT! WOOT!! How exciting. Can't wait to read your baby, I mean book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Hopefully the first of MANY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Melinda! I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! Loved the call story and the forgotten #. Sounds like something I would do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha-ha--I can't believe you forgot your own phone number! I was once so nervous about a blind date I forgot how to spell "coffee" in an e-mail to him. (I know, I know; and I call myself a writer!). But seriously, congratulations on your book. Now go celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! :) Still feeling like I'm on cloud 9!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful news!! Heartfelt congratulations to you!!

    ReplyDelete