Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group - May


My First "R"

I would like to say I truly belong to the Thick-Skinned Club. Most of the time, I do. But, there are days where I am a baby and any type of critique of my WIP drives me to tears. I admit it! Insecurity is always there, I think, for any writer. Will readers like our work as much as we do? We can’t please everyone.
I’ve decided to aim my writing for the publishing line I have read for so many years, a Harlequin category. Category romance is a special type of writing… readers know what to expect when they pick up the book and it includes tropes. In fact, in most cases, a reader will pick up a book because it comes from that particular category, even if they don’t know the author. I do anyway. I know what to expect from this type of romance.
For that reason, I sent off my first WIP to this publisher´s book pitch challenge.  Actually, they only asked for a one-page synopsis, which was hell in itself. In this challenge, I had only one week to hear back from the editors. They would pick five lucky winners to pitch their book. Well, I didn’t make it, so I guess this was my official first “Reject.”

It was bound to happen. Which author has never gotten a reject, especially on their first novel? Well, it still hurts. You always have that hope….and actually I still do. I am proud of my work. I am not proud of my first one-page synopsis, though. So, I will take this all as a learning experience and continue to work on my “baby” and send it off again. This time with the normal query letter, 2-page synopsis (easier said than done), and first chapter. That is a real indication of what type of writer I am.
This morning I found a great article that spoke to me. I’d like to share it with you. The Positive Side of Rejection.

I actually will take this rejection as a positive. I don’t feel down anymore. It has all been a learning experience. I will move on.

But, there is always that little doubt nagging me on the inside… so I think you for letting me share my insecurities and allowing me to move on.

 
If you are interested in joining the Insecure Writer's Support Group, please follow this link. Each month writer's share and support each other. We are in this journey together!

Happy Writing,
Melinda

16 comments:

  1. Melinda! Thanks for posting about this subject. You've inspired me to share my own experiences with rejection on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad. All writers face rejection. Cant wait to trad about yours and learn from it.

      Delete
  2. Aww! The first one is the hardest. Okay, maybe not really, but you have a good attitude about it. It's important to remember most rejections have little to do with the quality of her manuscript and more with the fact that it didn't resonate with the editor. It's so subjective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great positive attitude you have, very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome that you went for it and found out what you need to improve before the next time! Good luck.
    -MJ here from the support group http://creativelyspiltink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone on here. *hugs8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you got a rejection, but at least you put yourself out there, attempting what so many people only dream about doing. Good for you! I still have all of my rejection letters. And there were LOTS before I made my first sale in 1999. Some were more nicely worded than others. Some were just your basic form letter. One was my very own query letter back with the word NO! written on the top. (That one just ticked me off!) I kept at it and eventually sold. You will too. Believe in yourself. Best wishes! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie for visiting my blot! Its an honor to have an author I strive to be like! Cant believe you actually received a query letter with No written on it. Wow!

      Delete
  7. I know exactly what you mean about being thick-skinned but insecure, too! Sometimes we just have to put ourselves out there. I'm pitching at my first conference in a few weeks. If I get through without the agent laughing at me, or my book pitch, I'll consider it a valuable experience

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha... I love that graphic. Both funny and wise and I'll definitely be calling my dinner fork into action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, if I didn't fall onto this blog at the right time! I think we all go through those insecurities. And critts you want to cry over. Sometimes I just take a minute or fifty to absorb those critts, and can review it with a better appreciation.

    I'm sure we all have those moments where we come up with the super duper fantastical paragraphs with powerful words and perfect flow. Ah. If only those moments were always there!

    Anywho! Great post. ~(シ)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rejection always stinks. We just recover and keep on plowing away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you, Melinda. You got your work out there and started the process. I always love reading author interviews about how many times their work was rejected before finding the right agent/publisher. Keep up the momentum!

    ReplyDelete