Sunday, March 18, 2012

I'm a Writer!

Issac Asimov once said, "I write for the same reason I breathe- because if I didn't, I would die."


I have loved to write for as long as I can remember. And I would have to agree with Asimov. If I didn't write, I would shrivel up and fall to pieces. Even though I write, sharing my writing is a whole other story.


I wrote when I was a kid, but I was always too shy to share anything. I always had journals next to my bed, notebooks full of stories and poems and of course the inevitable diary. The first time I remember sharing my writing was in high school. I finally had  friend, Kris,  who liked to write too. We would sit together in our bedrooms and write paragraphs and paragraphs of stories. I remember handing her my notebook with my first romance story and waiting for her response. Surprisingly, she loved it! With her approval, I was motivated enough to write even more. However, I never shared with anyone else.


Of course, I made straight A's on my English papers in High School and College. But as far as my creative writing and sharing went, I was "in the closet," so to speak. Then I became an English teacher, of all things, and had to teach my students how to write! Actually, this is fun because I can open up with my students and every now and then I  share a poem or a few lines of my stories. I always do this with a beating heart and sweaty palms. Why am I nervous? I think... am I a worthy writer to share? 


Finally,  after having my third child in 2006, I decided it was time to step out and let the world see what I could do. I began my first complete full romance novel. I shared it with my sister who loved it and then joined a Critique group (www.critiquecircle.com) online. What a huge step! Every time I shared a chapter, I felt a huge weight on my shoulders. Would they think it was good? Do I sound ridiculous? Are they laughing at me?Am I nuts to think I am a writer? 


Well, guess what? I am! I have finally come to the conclusion that I am a writer! I'm proud to be one. Writing gives me a sense of purpose. It makes me whole. It is a huge part of me. Sharing is still a challenge, but I am out there and ready to be published.

Now I am on a new journey. Publishing. My first step.... this blog. I hope you find some joy in my musings and know that I love being a writer. It's been a part of my life since I could open a notebook. It's part of who I am.



Stephen King said, "If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."


Here I am on that adventure!


Melinda

8 comments:

  1. Yay, Melinda! I'm so happy you started a blog! And yes, you most definitely are a writer. I love reading Jake and Amanda's story, and I'm so excited about the one you are just starting as well. I'll be following you as you blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chantel! We are beginning our adventure together.

      Delete
  2. I believe and have always believed, that you could do what ever you wanted. You have the tallent of the compilation of words. I know you can put a story togather with meaning. love dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad! It means a lot to hear you say that!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Melinda, on your new blog! You've summed up wonderfully what I think many aspiring writers - myself included - feel when they start off. I remember how scared I was when I first asked a trusted friend, whose opinion I valued, to read my work - let alone the first time I had to read my work aloud at my local writing group. Good thing I didn't make a break for the door. : ) Glad you've made that leap, too, so we all get to enjoy your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive vibes! Even though I am sharing my work, I still get those nervous jitters! I appreciate your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  4. "Just Do It"... Your writing is one of the many sensational qualities that you have. I'm so proud of you. I'll be your #1 critic.

    Love,
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ****Warm Fuzzies**** Thanks Paige! I think I have to name a character after you. :)

      Delete