Thursday, March 22, 2012

Booking Through Thursday



Booking Through Thursday

This is a weekly meme in which each week the HOST will ask a reading related question and we answer with our thoughts.

This week's question is: Ever read a book you thought you could have written better yourself?

My Answer: I have been an avid reader since I was a teenager. Honestly, I read several books a week, in between my full-time job, being a mom to three boys, and writing/editing schedule. With that in mind, of course there are those books where I think I could have written something differently. Maybe I think that a certain scene could go in another direction, or the end could have been happier (I like happy endings.) Most of the time, however, I have to respect the writer and the ideas he or she has offered. That's why I buy the book in the first place! Being a writer is hard stuff! Let's respect the writers and their words.

Here is a favorite quote that relates - Easy reading is damn hard writing. Nathaniel Hawthorne. 

Keep that in mind when you want to change something next time. :)
Have a great Thursday!

Melinda

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great answer, Melinda! And I love this Hawthorne quote. It's the first time I see it and it is so-very-true.

    ReplyDelete